At the coronations of the British monarchy, the sovereign's right hand glove is removed and the coronation ring is put on. For some 150 years, the coronation gloves have been produced by Messrs Harborow of London. A duplicate glove was always made in case of accident to the original and in 1972, Messrs Harborow presented these to the Worshipful Company of Glovers of London. In 1953, the Glovers Company was itself granted the privilege of producing the glove for HM Queen Elizabeth II, under instructions received in January 1953 from the Lord Chamberlain acting pursuant to the Earl Marshal's directive.
The original coronation glove worn by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation on 2nd June 1953, the hand of white kid leather, grain side out, with separately embroidered gauntlet lined in crimson silk, covered with raised gold purl wire embroidery and metal strip, sprigged with sequins with roses, acorns and shamrocks, the upper hand with raised gold purl E II R below embroidered and red velvet Queenly crown, 34 cm long.
Conserved 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.