At the coronations of the British monarchy, the sovereign's right hand glove is removed and the coronation ring is put on. For some 150 years, the coronation gloves have been produced by Messrs Harborow of London. A duplicate glove was always made in case of accident to the original and in 1972, Messrs Harborow presented these to the Worshipful Company of Glovers of London. In 1953, the Glovers Company was itself granted the privilege of producing the glove for HM Queen Elizabeth II.
A duplicate of the coronation glove worn by King George VI on 12th May 1937, of white kid leather, grain side out, lined with crimson satin, the separately embroidered gauntlet entirely covered in raised gold purl embroidery, sequins with roses, acorns, thistles and shamrocks, the upper hand applied with Royal badge in red, blue and white silks, embroidered in black silks and purl wire below velvet kingly crown, 39 cm long.
Conservation 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.