At the coronations of the British monarchy, the sovereign's right hand glove is removed and the coronation ring is put on. For some 150 years, the coronation gloves have been produced by Messrs Harborow of London. A duplicate glove was always made in case of accident to the original and in 1972, Messrs Harborow presented these to the Worshipful Company of Glovers of London. In 1953, the Glovers Company was itself granted the privilege of producing the glove for HM Queen Elizabeth II.
A duplicate coronation glove of that worn by Queen Alexandra, 9th August 1902, the long glove of white kid, grain side up, lined in ivory silk, the laced side with deep purple velvet gusset, wrist opening with three mother of pearl buttons and mousquetaire buttonhole openings, the opening embroidered in raised gold purl wire and couched gold threads with delicate scrolling flower-heads and foliage, the upper hand bearing AR cipher below raised-work gold and silk thread kingly crown, 48 cm long. Conserved 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.