A men's pair of embroidered gauntlet leather gloves, suede side up, circa 1616 – 30, of white leather dyed buff, with separately worked gauntlet each of six tabs, covered in deep rose-pink satin, worked with split stitch and satin stitch irises, pansies and fruits in mainly blue and green silks, fabulous silver brick-stitched canopies, gold and silver purl wire quatrefoils and foliate scrolls, edged in silver picoted lace trimmed with sequins, elongated fingers and thumbs, 39 cm long. Sotherby's sale record for these gloves, November 5th 1928 states that they were sold for £160 as part of the collection of Sir Hercules Reed, who was for many years keeper of the British and Medieval Antiquities at the British Museum.

Part of the Collection donated to the Livery in 1959 by the late Robert Spence. Conserved in 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.

Accession No: 23460+A
The Catalogue is under Copyright (C) 2012, The Glove Collection Trust.