A rare pair of mens' armoured gloves, circa 1600 – 1650, formed from layers of heavy buff leather, suede side uppermost, the wide gauntlets formed from interlocking pinked lobes of the same buff leather, the open sides with remains of cord used to fasten through four corresponding slots on the other side, 41cm long. Possibly for riding or military use. See Redfern page 8 for illustration of a similar glove, held in the Collection of the Tower of London, formerly part of the Bry-y-Pys collection.
Part of the Collection donated to the Livery in 1959 by the late Robert Spence. Conserved 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.