A pair of white-work plain weave cotton lawn fabric embroidered and cutwork gloves, fabric cut on the bias to give stretch, circa 1800, the large size suggesting that they were intended for wear by a male, cut low over the wrists, the upper and lower sections and finger gores all delicately overstitched in white cotton, separately formed thumbs, the wrist caught with intermittent over-stitching to form scallops, 19 cm long. Part of the Collection donated to the Livery in 1959 by the late Robert Spence. Conserved 1995 - 1999 with help from the NHLF.

Accession No: 23446 + A
The Catalogue is under Copyright (C) 2012, The Glove Collection Trust.