A important pair of gloves circa 1625 – 35, of white kid suede side uppermost, with separately worked large stepped gauntlets, the ivory satin ground adorned with raised purl wire, sequins, couched gold threads and seed pearls, with a pelican in its piety, lilies, a lion with blue silk feet and black silk eyes, edged in gold and silver scalloped bobbin lace threaded with sequins, three salmon lace trimmed gussets, the elongated finger and thumb seams outlined with double rows of silver chain stitch with couched whorls to the knuckles, 37cm long.

Part of the Collection donated to the Livery in 1959 by the late Robert Spence. Conserved 1995-1999 with help from the NHLF.

Accession No: 23338+A
The Catalogue is under Copyright (C) 2012, The Glove Collection Trust.